Saturday, December 31, 2022

5 Simple Ways to Fold a Biblical Worldview Into Your Family This Year

Years ago I stood in my kitchen as I stirred a pot of spaghetti. Guilt consumed my thoughts as I pondered how I was teaching my little ones about God's greatness and our joyful responsibility to share His greatness with the world. I struggled to find kid-friendly ways to live this out and resources to guide focused time. How could I showcase how amazing God was and our role in seeing the gospel reach the ends of the earth?

That was the beginning of my journey to help families access resources to disciple our children with a global and biblical worldview without it feeling overwhelming.

We can teach our children about God’s greatness with daily—or even weekly—habits that can take less than 10 minutes! This new year can be the year your family begins their worldview adventure and takes simple steps toward cultivating a perspective grounded in Scripture, but also incorporates God's global plan for all nations to know and worship Himwithout even leaving your couch.

FOLDING IN A GLOBAL AND BIBLICAL WORLDVIEW

Here are five ways you can fold a global biblical worldview into your family today:

1) Determine a consistent time you could pray for the nations for a couple minutes together. 
Perhaps this is during a mealtime prayer, in the car on the way to school, or before bedtime. Select a time that fits with your family’s rhythms and then make a plan to pray. If you need help guiding your prayer time, consider using a resource like Window on the World, Wycliffe Kids Around the World with Kate & Mack, or even one of the free global prayer guides I wrote in my free resource library.

2) Read international kid lit together.
Each night before bed or during Saturday morning breakfast, read a chapter together! There are great international kid lit books for all ages—from picture books to chapter books to middle grade! I regularly share international kid lit book reviews on my blog and make recommendations on my World Religions Family Prayer Guides. But consider grabbing a copy of Cora Cooks Pancit, Sayd Saleem: Chasing the Dream, or The Bridge Home to get rolling today!

3) Read missionary biographies together.
Each night before bed or during Sunday morning breakfast, read a chapter together! YWAM has ample missionary biographies to kickstart your reading. And if you prefer to listen as your family does chores or eats, they also have audiobooks.

4) Incorporate discussion about world religions into your family’s life. Using my World Religions Family Prayer Guides, walk through what other world religions believe and how your family can pray for them. These free guides include a short video, activities, book recommendations, and prayer prompts. This can easily be used for homeschool purposes or for families who need a quick, reliable resource to direct their time.

5) Sign up to get a missionary’s newsletter from your church. 
Tracking with a missionary from your church will give your family a real-life connection between understanding God’s greatness, the need for the gospel to be shared around the world, and how someone from your church is doing exactly that! When your missionary comes back to visit during break, invite her over to hear more stories and let your kids ask questions about the culture and ministry. Plus you’ll encourage the missionary along the way.

I invite you to join me as we disciple our children with a global mindset. One that makes much of Jesus and shows how our prayers (and maybe even going!) is important in God's global plan for all nations to know and worship Him. 

Join my quarterly newsletter so we can link arms together! Let me save you lots of time by providing the tools and resources to keep things simple and meaningful as you disciple your kids in this essential area: God's worldwide greatness.