Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Comparison Trap

“Jesus said to him, ‘If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!’”

John 21:22, ESV

“It’s not fair!” my son bellowed. The injustice of his younger sibling staying up past his bedtime while his didn’t budge was too much. It didn’t matter that the reason his little brother got to bed later was to accommodate picking him up from basketball practice. From his perspective, the only right course of action was to receive the same outcome: an extended bedtime.

And yet I could identify with my eight-year-old. Sometimes I, too, want to demand God work in the same way He does in my life as He does a friend or someone on social media. I could spend focused time in prayer and reading the Bible before my kids woke up if my children slept until 7 a.m. instead of 5:30 a.m. Training for a race would be attainable for  me, too, if my husband didn’t work long hours. Must be nice to have family live nearby and not scramble for a babysitter.

But the comparison trap is a dangerous place. My son and I aren’t the only ones who struggled with taking our eyes off Jesus and placing them onto our situations. When Jesus told Peter about what would happen to him in the future (John 21:18), Peter’s first instinct was to notice John nearby and ask about his ministry trajectory. But Jesus’ response made it clear that wasn’t Peter’s concern by saying, “What is that to you?” (John 21:22).

At the heart of Peter’s question was wondering if John got a better deal and whether God was withholding good. But when we follow Jesus, there’s no business class, first class, or economy class distinctions. We have been assigned a specific role by God for our good and His glory. We don’t get to swamp seat assignments because someone else’s looks nicer. We must trust the One who delegated it to us in the first place and do as Jesus commanded Peter, “You follow me!” (John 21:22)

Circumstances will ebb and flow, but our Savior remains steadfast. The comparison trap will rob us of joy and gratitude, but turning our eyes to Jesus will keep us faithful to the path placed before us by God.

This devotional was originally published at The Round Farmhouse.