Thursday, March 24, 2022

HOW TO PRAY FOR UKRAINIAN FAMILIES


"Bring the globe to the living room, please,” I asked my eight-year-old son.

Once the globe arrived, my boys and I plunked onto the carpet as I pointed to where Russia and Ukraine were located.

“Russia attacked Ukraine,” I said, glancing at each boy to gauge his response. “This started a war. People can lose their lives in war.” Overwhelming sorrow filled my heart as my throat tightened and tears threatened to run down my freckled cheeks.

An image I had seen the previous day filled my mind: a young mother on a crowded bus, her toddler reaching a hand toward her face. The mother’s expression captured the exhaustion and sorrow of this moment in history.

I had to pause for several minutes to regain composure before guiding my kids through a time of prayer for Ukraine.

HOW TO PRAY FOR UKRAINIAN FAMILIES
The sadness of living in a broken world where war can transpire as quickly as a screen swipe is heartbreaking. The unfolding of war between Russia and Ukraine is unsettling. Families fleeing military attacks. Hordes of people seeking shelter in underground subways. A sobbing father saying goodbye to his daughter because he must stay behind to fight. This should not transpire. The shadows of evil seem to be prevailing, but the book of Revelation reminds us to hope in Jesus who will defeat the evil one forever.

In Revelation, Jesus reminds suffering churches to turn their eyes to the One whose life, death, and resurrection are shaping and guiding the past, present, and future. When nations are at war and families are caught in the crossfire, we can still trust in the One who rules over all and has conquered sin and death (Rev. 1:17, 18). Jesus is with us in the midst of these heartrending realities (Rev. 1:13) and deeply loves His children (Rev. 1:5).

Read the rest of this piece with 12 ways to specifically intercede for Ukraine on Momma Theologians.